A Turkish court has remanded in custody two Daesh members, who were allegedly planning an attack in capital Ankara on New Year's Eve, said Turkish officials Saturday, Anadolu Agency reported.
According to officials from the prosecutor's office, the suspects are charged with of belonging to a terror organization and possessing an explosive substance.
Earlier in the day, the Ankara prosecutor had questioned the suspects and requested their imprisonment to the court.
Musa Canoz, 28, and Adnan Yildirim, 40, were arrested Wednesday over an alleged plot to commit a suicide bomb attack in the city’s main square, which is the scene of annual Dec. 31 celebrations.
The Ankara Chief Prosecutor’s office said the suspects had targeted two locations near Kizilay, a shopping and restaurant district in the heart of the city, and were equipped with explosive vests packed with steel ball bearings.
Prosecutors said the arrests were carried out in Yakup Abdal, a neighborhood on the southern outskirts of Ankara.
Ankara was targeted by twin suicide bombings on Oct. 10, when 103 people were killed in an attack on protesters gathering outside the city’s main train station for a peace rally.
The attack, which also left hundreds wounded, was the deadliest in modern Turkish history and has been attributed to Daesh supporters.
Follow us on Twitter @TRENDNewsAgency